For the most part, twins means that you need two of EVERYTHING. However, you only need one stroller. Since you only come equipped with two hands this can be a blessing. A double (or tandem) stroller can be a lifesaver when you are out and about with twins.
There are several different strollers designed with twins in mind. Let’s talk about your options.
Double Stroller (side-by-side)
This is the most common stroller for twins. Both seats are side by side facing forward. These strollers are rather wide, yet have approximately the same length as a standard stroller.
- Both seats can fully recline
- Both children have an unobstructed view
- The wide wheel path makes the stroller much more stable and easier to steer
- They are more lightweight compared to other models
- Won’t accommodate two infant car seats.
- Because they are so wide they won’t fit through some doorways and are harder to manage in small areas like the aisles of the grocery store.
- Makes it easy for little ones to hit or pinch one another if they are feeling cranky.
- If one child outweighs the other it can make steering difficult.
- Lack of storage
Tandem strollers have one child in front of the other. The width is about the same as a standard stroller but is about double in length. Some models have the back seat sitting higher to give them a better view. There are even some models that allow you to turn the seats to have the twins sitting back-to-back or face-to-face.
- Fits through all doorways and is far easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
- There are many models that accommodate two infant car seats, making those first few months greatly easier.
- Most models have cup holders and snack trays on both seats. Some have them as a removable option.
- Large storage basket underneath and small storage on the top.
- It can also be used for two children who are different sizes and ages.
- They tend to be heavier and bulkier than the side-by-side models.
- The front seat usually cannot be fully reclined.
- It’s harder to keep a close eye on the child in the front seat.
- Many little ones don’t like being in the back because of the obstructed view.
Twin Jogging Strollers
If you are an active parent who enjoys going jogging, a twin jogging stroller can help you get back in shape while not having to worry about who is watching the little ones while you go for a jog.
Fixed Front Wheel Jogging Stroller
This stroller is designed for someone who does a lot of jogging especially on rough terrain. The fixed front wheel helps to keep you going on a straight path without the need of trying to steer to keep it going straight. They have more durable wheels that allow for a smoother ride.
Swivel Front Wheels/Wheels
These models vary in the number of wheels on the front end. They are more fitting for someone who power walks. The wheels are generally smaller and more easily maneuvered around twists and turns in the road.
Travel System for Twins
Many parents opt for a travel system. They have the car seats that snap into a base in the car and onto the stroller when you are out. You can usually use a tandem stroller in the same manner. However, a true travel system doesn’t have seats. It’s a frame that you can snap the car seats onto.
Hopefully all of the above information makes your purchase of a stroller for twins much easier. There are several options available to fit into your lifestyle.